Monday, August 10, 2009

Out of the Office For "Obon"

Tomorrow begins yet another week long forced holiday here in Japan.

Last time was in May, when we celebrated the week long string of individual holidays collectively called "Golden Week".

This time it is for the "Obon Festivals."
The calender isn't marked at all by Obon, yet everyone seems to understand when it is. Not sure why we need to take so much time off work, but alas I am defeated by the iron grips of tradition.

Thus, we will be out of the office from August 12th until the 17th.

If you remember my extremely cynical blog post back in May about "Golden Week" and it's individual holidays, and subsequent reasons for the holiday's, I did give a brief description about what it's all about. I find the reasons for Obon to be much more respectable.

Obon stems from India, and the Buddhist beliefs of the Ullambana Sutra. The Japanese people believe that during the period of Obon that the Spirit's of their ancestors return home. So naturally, during this time all Japanese families re-unite together to celebrate the communion of the family. To reflect on their departed loved ones and express thankfulness for how the remaining impact of what they have done for us still effects our lives, and to honor them with remembrance.

I can definitely see value in a tradition like this, and so will check my usual cynicism at the reasons behind some national holidays at the door.

Though I do support a tradition like Obon, and respect it entirely, believe me when I say that I am always the last guy who wants to take time off work. Again, really sorry but, because of Obon we will be out of the office until Monday August 17th. So, let me apologize that you will have to wait for any responses regarding anything until after then.

Instead of stressing about your guitar, in the spirit of Obon- take a few days to do some nice things for your mom instead.


See ya Monday!



- Combat Colin.






No comments:

Post a Comment